29 November 2010

My First Chick Flick List

My husband does not do chick flicks. I never really cared for them either, at least of the few I had seen. Last year, I decided to start watching some of them, just to make sure I wasn't missing anything (and I am a chick, after all). I like to watch movies while I iron, and as long as I was able to borrow them from family, friends, or the library--or watch them on Netflix instant, (because I didn't really want to pay to watch them), I figured I might as well.

First of all, I have discovered the necessity for me to watch these movies alone because even if I think the movie is absolutely ridiculously absurdly stupid, they almost always make me cry. I don't know why I'm even telling you this, because it is actually quite embarrassing to me!

I have also found an interesting phenomenon in many of these movies. The climax consists of the lover/lovee literally running to profess his/her love, often getting stuck in traffic along the way, or, my favorite, running through an airport.

I thought it might be fun to write a list of "running to declare love" movies. So far I have come up with: Sabrina; Ever After; Sleepless in Seattle; Six Days, Seven Nights; Serendipity; Someone Like You; The Proposal; Notting Hill. If you know any, let me know and I'll watch them and add them to the list (but I don't watch rated R movies). And feel free to tell me what your favorite chick flick is so I can watch it too!

I loved the first three on the list and hated the last one. The others in between I disliked for one reason or another, usually because of the swearing and/or nudity and/or steamy scenes. (Call me a prude if you like, but I always think the movies would be better without these things.)

So, I have to know: Is this really how love happens to people? I don't remember the first time I said "I love you" to my husband, but I know it wasn't associated with any kind of emergency. Am I the only one who missed that?

I do remember telling him I was afraid to fall in love with him. He asked me why, which I considered to be the green light on the matter. Do you remember the first time you said "I love you" to the one that you love?

5 comments:

Lacey said...

Haha it does seem like all chick flicks are 'running to declare love'! I am terrible at remembering movies after I've watched them, but I think there is a similar story in my favorite chick flicks Letters to Juliet, P.S. I Love You, and Definitely, Maybe.

Definitely didn't happen for me that way either. Pretty sure it was randomly in the car on the way somewhere which was not an emergency at all!

Amelia said...

Thank you, Lacey! I haven't seen any of those movies, so I'll have to check them out.

Anonymous said...

misypris (http://misypris.wordpress.com/) has left a new comment:

Ok, first of all, you have to watch P.S. I Love You and Hope Floats. Harry Connick Jr is in both of them and they are both fabulous movies! Hope Floats still makes me cry. I also love "I am Sam." Incredible movie that is too...although not a romantic movie. It's a 'life lesson' kinda movie.

Most men don't do chick flicks, so [your husband] is not abnormal in this. Drew will only watch them if I bribe him with candy or...if he's already nodding off to sleep.

I remember not wanting to tell Drew I loved him until I met him face to face. Since we met online, I felt that he deserved a face to face confession. He, however, couldn't wait. So, I felt since he said it, it would be horrendous for me not to say it back. I felt it, but even though I wanted to wait until I saw him face to face to tell him, nothing was sweeter than that moment when he whispered it as he was calling me to wake me up on his way into the office. I didn't even think about it, I just said it back and remember it feeling like I had just found my home.

Amelia said...

Bribing with candy! I love that! Only that wouldn't work on my husband because he doesn't care about candy.

Thank you for the movie recommendations...I guess I might have to break down & actually rent some movies!

And I always LOVE to hear your love stories about Drew.

Anonymous said...

I love Sweet Home Alabama. And I am a bit ashamed to say I don't exactly remember the first declarations of love my hubby and I shared. I remember other firsts, but the words weren't all that memorable I guess, lol!