08 December 2010

The Sacred Garden

The first time I walked into the Sacred Garden, I felt like I had climbed into a little fairy hollow filled with exotic flowers and tasty natural delicacies. Miniature green forests grew on tables stacked on top of tables. Small white lights curtained the lower sitting area. I climbed the stone steps to the upper level while water flowed on either side of me, and under my walkway (paved with flagstone). Soft music played as I admired the tiny seedlings and large happy tomatoes. A small pond surrounded by growth was swimming with young fish. It was so much more than I could have imagined a greenhouse to be.

I recently went back again and took some pictures, but they did not do it justice. Photography is not a talent of mine (probably never will be). I even had my husband take a picture of one of the tomatoes that was as big as a cantaloupe (I'm not exaggerating!), but the picture just didn't look the same as it did in real life, even with my puny hand in the frame, reaching for the biggest tomato I have ever seen in my life.

I wanted to write about this so whenever I feel lonely for my little sister, I can picture her in her lovely garden. And I wanted to share one of my favorite poems, "Fueled" by Marcie Hans:

Fueled
by a million
man-made
wings of fire-
the rocket tore a tunnel
through the sky-
and everybody cheered.
Fueled
only by a thought from God-
the seedling
urged its way
through thicknesses of black-
and as it pierced
the heavy ceiling of the soil-
and lauched itself
up into outer space -
no
one
even
clapped.

No comments: