24 August 2011

Short Story Long

It was a morning different than any other. In a matter of a little more than an hour, I managed to go to three doctor's appointments when I had only planned on one. And when the word "cancer" made it into the mix, it just got stranger.

I had an early appointment for my son to see the dermatologist. Eczema. Bummer. I had tried to get an appointment for myself also, but they were booked until after September (which is when my met insurance deductible starts over). I figured I could put it off. After all, it was nothing but a couple of new skin-colored moles I wanted to have checked. I also wanted to ask if there was something I could put on the scar on my forehead (No, it wasn't in the shape of a lightening bolt, it was more of a red splotch on the side by my hairline).

Before we went in for my son's appointment, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if the doctor could fit me in if I traveled to our neighbor city. The receptionist said no, but then told me I could be seen with my son since they had had a cancellation. It turned out that the scar was actually BCC...a type of skin cancer I've never heard of. Double bummer! So he cut a piece out of it to test and we set up an appointment to have the rest surgically removed.

I was okay with the news. They assured me this type of cancer is slow growing and that it doesn't spread throughout the body. I took my toddler to his dad and returned to the pharmacy to get the cream for my son's rash. While I was there, the receptionist from my OB office came in to fill a prescription for herself. She asked me if I was ready for my appointment.

My appointment?

I didn't even realize it was time for another OB visit already. Wow. Two weeks goes by so fast anymore, but what really blew my mind was the fact that I was dressed and ready, inside the building where my OB offices are, and that the receptionist came into the pharmacy to accidentally remind me I had an appointment...like in five minutes. What are the chances of that, really?

So this morning the dermatologist removed a piece from my head about the size of a quarter. I have a rather large bandage on my head that I am supposed to leave alone for two days, which means I get to take my daughter to her first day of school looking like I had an unfortunate run-in with something or someone.

After the surgery, I got my children from the sitter and took them to Arby's for a milkshake. The only problem with that was that I forgot my purse, but didn't realize it until after I'd already ordered. I explained at the window and went home for my purse. When I returned to pay, I apologized to the worker and he excused me by saying, "That's okay. It's obvious you've bumped your head." I laughed because, seriously! It looks like this:

I know the picture is blurry...I can't take a decent picture of myself. Some of the shots didn't even have me in them!

3 comments:

Lacey said...

I had the exact same kind of skin cancer, in almost the same spot! Mine was right above my eyebrow and they prescribed a cream to get rid of mine, so I got to rock a bandaid over my eyebrow for a good 2 months until it was completely gone. So yeah, I feel for you but at least it's a fairly common and treatable type of skin cancer!

Cindy in PA said...

You lead an exciting life. I'm glad you're being taken care of and it was amazing to be reminded of your doctor's appointment 5 minutes in advance. God was at work on that one. Blessings!

Bethany said...

Oh! What a day that was. I haven't heard of that cancer... but glad to hear it will be gone. Some days a little bandage would be a good excuse for the things we forget, right? :)