19 September 2011

Improving Home: The Girls' Room, Corner One

So Monday's here, but I'm not. Not really.

I've been sewing until my fingers bleed (from getting poked), but I'm still not ready to show you the after shots.

The good news is, I'm getting so much more done than I would have if I hadn't told you I'd be done days ago. So thanks for that!

I do have one corner that is ready for you:


This is the reading spot I told you about. It is also the dressing area, as you can see. I cannot take credit for the idea of putting books in baskets, but I loved it from the moment I heard it (because sloppy bookshelves hurt my brain). With this set-up, even my baby can put the books away nicely!

I bought the baskets on sale at K-mart, but I don't remember what I paid for them. I think around five for the small one and ten for the big one. The frames are 12 x 12s from Michael's and I believe I paid around five each (I have three) after using a coupon. The paper-towel-holder-pretending-to-be-a-shelf/blanket-holder was in the kitchen when we moved in. I almost got rid of it until I realized how well it matched the shelf on the other side of the window. I purchased the Precious Moments clock for $6 on clearance at K-mart, but I can't read the stupid thing unless I get close. I think I'm going to try to paint its hands black. The dresser was a steal for $75 new from a furniture store. I'll have to tell you the bartering story another day, but there is a scratch on top of this dresser that I covered with this beautiful runner that a friend from Finland made for us when we got married:

The blanket and chair were gifts, so the total amount of money spent on this corner was $106. This sounds like a lot to me, but considering that I was using boxes for my girls' clothes before we got the dresser, the dresser alone has been worth that much to me.

I am giving myself a new deadline (so cool that I can do that): Wednesday, the day after tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

It's looking good! And it feels good to accomplish even a corner, right?I didn't realize you would soon have 4 - good luck to you, Amelia. Hope your pregnancy is going smoothly...

Cindy in PA said...

You are cracking me up! You never said that you're hilarious during pregnancy. I'm looking forward to your latest deadline with great anticipation! Blessings