02 January 2012

Smooth Sale-ing


My scrambled-egg morning brain didn't even know what day it was.

Expecting my fourth (and probably last) baby, I was searching Craigslist for deals on baby items that I didn't have because they had either been worn out by my first three kidlets or had never made it into our household. I had a list. After about an hour of looking for an affordable baby swing, the kind that also swings in the direction of a cradle, I gave up on ever finding one at a price that I was willing to pay (which was $20).

And then I realized that it was FRIDAY.

Friday in the summertime means YARD SALES!!!

In my excitement, I showered myself and dressed my children and got us all strapped in the car in record time. (If only I could be that motivated on Sunday mornings--then we'd be to church ten minutes early like my husband wishes we would be...instead of parading in thirty seconds before the meeting starts.)

The very first yard sale I went to had my baby swing. I couldn't believe it. I had little hope, but in just seconds I was asking her what she was asking. When she said $20, I pounced on it. Maybe some would have offered something less, after all the sale was just getting started. But not me.

I don't dicker.

I found almost everything on my list that weekend. It was like magic. I had been thinking of asking all of my friends to help me find used items instead of having a baby shower. It seemed wasteful to buy new items when they were only going to get used by one baby. I was going to make a game out of it. But the universe came through for me, which turned out to be much less awkward.

The paradox in all of this is that I wish I had had these things for all of my babies--but it was after taking care of three babies that I learned just what things I would like to have!

3 comments:

Amelia said...

I got everything in the photo above (plus a few swaddlers) for less than $40 total!

Cindy in PA said...

I wish you lived closer so you could take me garage sale-ing. Years ago I participated in a neighborhood garage sale. My kids made more money than I did. I ended up in the hole since I paid for part of the ad and the balloon tied to my mailbox. The most frustrating part? I had someone want to buy my kitchen table that I had loaded with books. No sale :(

Amelia said...

I've only ever had two yard sales myself. I needed to do them both at the time, but I swear I'll never do another one. They are so much work! Both times I sold a little over $100 worth of stuff, plus I was able to sell my electric stove so I could switch to gas. For years I had issues with yard sales because my mom used to get a little overzealous and buy too many unneeded things...but now, being an un-rich stay-at-home mom, I absolutely love them. I wish we could go together too, Cindy, because it's always more fun with a friend!