05 October 2009

You Don't Just Join a Family

One of my favorite movies is While You Were Sleeping. In it, there is a line that says, "You are born into a family. You do not join them like you do the Marines." When I was fifteen, I did exactly that. Growing up, I had friends who seemed to have the perfect families. I wanted one too! So I found one that was almost perfect and I joined it. This is the story of how I became what most would call "a foster child."

Before I begin, I want to say that I truly love my family. Looking back, I have many good memories. My parents did teach me things that were good, and the good things stuck. I know more about the world now than I did when I was young. If I were to now rate my childhood family on its dysfunctionality (I think I just made up a new word), I'd say I was lucky compared to a lot of kids.

There were many things that made me want to leave home. I think that is another story. Today my story is of an amazing family who welcomed me into their house, not just as a guest, but as a family member. It started with a lovely woman who befriended me at a church function. I had quite a few friends that were mothers and grandmothers. My best friend used to tease me about it, but I liked they way they genuinely cared about me.

My new friend and I became close before too long. Every school day, she sent a sack lunch for me with her son who was a year older than me. There was always a note inside. One night, things were not good at home. I called this woman and told her I was leaving. She picked me up in her car and brought me to her house. She put me in a bedroom for the night. I had cried a lot and was tired. I still remember the feeling of clean sheets and the smell of food cooking.

When I awoke the next morning, I could hear the family interacting. The mother was trying to keep them quiet so they wouldn’t wake me. I snuggled into the blankets and enjoyed the warmth and security I felt. After that, I stayed there as often as I could. It wasn’t long before I began calling the mother, “Mama,” which after a while became, “Mom.” She had always wanted twelve children. She had eight, and called me her “added upon.”

I wasn’t the easiest person to have around. I used to cry everyday, sometimes curled up in the bottom of the closet. I was extremely jealous of their other children. Once I almost started a fist fight with the daughter that was closest to me in age. I still have guilt about that. I have since talked to her about it. She just laughed and says she doesn’t remember it, so I’m forgiven. I was angry a lot, usually at Mom. For some reason, they thought I was worth all the trouble. I pray often that God will bless them for what they did for me.

We had some good times too. Sometimes all of the girls and I would get laughing so hard, we'd be on the floor. Dad was a constant support. He used to read to us, the scriptures as well as interesting novels, usually being tied to our church in some way. Instead of going to church alone, I had a family to sit with.

I lived with them for five and a half years, until I got married. During that time they never received money from the state or my family for my care. They bought an older car for me to drive when I was in college. I worked part time to pay for the gas and insurance, and as much as I could for my books and tuition. They took care of the rest. They even paid for my wedding. This wasn’t a wealthy family, but they always said they had enough for another one of their kids. Mom continued to write notes to me, calling me her “dotter.”

I know people around us thought it was strange, the way I pretended like I was part of their family. That doesn’t matter. I count myself blessed for all that I gained because of them. It is another evidence that Heavenly Father loves me and is watching over me.

3 comments:

Amelia said...

Comments from friends:

"What a beautiful story. I know where you are coming from I had a family do the same for me. I wasn’t with them as long as you were, but it is nice to know that their are people out there that are kind enough to do these things. I am forever greatful to the family that took me in." Devin

"i love this story and dont thinks its strange at all!!!!!" Nancy

"That is really sweet. Thanks for sharing this with us all.… oh and While You were Sleeping is one of my fav movies too!" Diem

"Your story goes to show that love really knows no bounds within a family unit. I think that is so wonderful….your experience with them softened your heart enough to create a family of your own! What a wonderful family you are a part of!" Tami

"What a wonderful, beautiful story!! Thanks for sharing." Cassie

Amelia said...

Comment from my good friend Kelli:

I only ever knew bits and pieces of your life through High School times. Your story is beautiful and one that I would want to be able to emulate in the position of that "Mom" for other kids in need. In High School I remember you expressing your love for both of your families and I felt your spirit and gratitude then as I do now.
Thanks so much for sharing! (I thought you were amazing back then, just like I think you are now!)

Lyn said...

Wow! What an incredible story and life you have had. This story really struck a chord for me because of my own experience with in taking the girls in to our home with the foster care system. It seriously has got to be one of the hardest things we have done. But, it sounds like the Lord really was watching over you. I think things happen the way they are meant to and we shouldn't question them just be grateful and count our blessings. One of these days we really need to swap stories.
Lyn