25 November 2009

Learned and Inherited

My mom has always been a creative woman. I loved to hear her sing, especially the songs she wrote herself. She sang in a bluegrass band with her sister when I was a kid. On practice days, my little sisters and I danced in our living room to the music of the banjo, bass, mandolin, and guitar. That is one of my favorite memories.

Mom also wrote poetry. She usually wrote when she was sad. I still have one of the poems she wrote. She was sitting in the car in the rain, and it was written on the cardboard from a package of those yummy oval-shaped oatmeal cookies we often bought at the "merc." I wish I knew where I could get some of those cookies today.

This is what it said:

We are like raindrops of tears
Rolling down the window...pain...
Reminded of the years, so full of shame
Falling to the ground and waiting for the Son
To pick us up with His love,
And make us all as one. 12-21-1988

I don't think she would mind if I put her poem here. I wanted to share it because I recognize that many of the talents I possess I gained from my mom in one way or another.

I love poetry and music. Before I was a teenager, I saved my babysitting money to buy a $200 Casio keyboard. When I was a young teenager, I taught myself how to read music. My mom bought a used piano for me, and I learned to play hymns on it.

Later, I used the money I earned as a maid at a motel, a Saturday and summer job, to pay for piano lessons. Then I walked to the teacher's house once a week after school. My foster family paid for my lessons after I moved in with them.

They were also musical. I loved to sing Christmas songs with them, in four-part harmony. I started singing in the church choir when I was twelve years old. Over the years, I have sung in various choirs. There were times the music made such an impact on me, I felt I would never be the same as before. When I thank God for my blessings, music is always on the list. It has the power to strengthen me when other things have no power. God knew this about me. I'm glad He planted me where He did.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Reply by Tami:

"I love music too; it’s so soothing to the soul and in many ways, puts our issues and heartache into perspective. It always puts me back on the right path. I especially love listening to Christian music…God always seems to bring the right song to my heart right when I need it.

You and I are a lot alike in this aspect! YAY!"