02 December 2009

At the Salad Bar

This is probably a silly thing to blog about. But this is my blog, & right now I want to talk about SALAD. My foster family (& Chuck-a-Rama) always had the best salad bars because they usually had my favorite toppings. For the sake of my personal history, I will now describe my perfect green salad. This may be more important than you think: they may be serving this exact recipe at my descendants' family reunions for years into the far future.

Foundation:
Fresh, Crisp Greens (For me, the more variety in the mix, the better. My sister grows the best greens: organic lettuces with tasty tiny baby greens of all flavors. Masterpiecefull!)

Toppings:
  • Peas (1. Good: frozen peas, thawed 2. Better: sprouted peas 3. Best: peas from the garden = one of my favorite things!)
  • Carrots (1. Good: sliced 2. Better: shredded 3. Best: small juliennes)
  • Cucumbers (1. Good: sliced 2. Best: sliced, then halved)
  • Tomatoes (I am not much of a tomato fan--I almost left them off my list. However, garden tomatoes are good on a salad & I can also eat halved cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes [on a salad] with a smile on my face)
  • Sprouts (1. No, not alfalfa sprouts 2. No, not mung (bean) sprouts 3. Best: sprouted Pro-Vita-Mix)
  • Baby Spinach (if it's not already in the greens where it should be!)
  • Broccoli (small trees)
  • Cauliflower (small flowers)
  • Olives (green & black, please)
  • Mushrooms (sliced, then halved)
  • Beans (kidney, black, pinto, garbanzo: pick one or two)
  • Pineapple (tidbits)
  • Raisins
  • Dried Cranberries (aka Craisins®)
  • Ham Dices
  • Boiled Egg Slices (I feel a poem coming on)
  • Ranch Dressing (unless I'm trying to lose weight...then I use those yummy salad spritzers)
  • Cheese (1. Good: cheddar 2. Best: Swiss & Parmesan)
  • Sunflower Seeds
  • Almond Slivers
  • Bacon Bits
  • Croutons (small is best)
Now I'm salivating. We are eating SALAD for dinner tomorrow! Wait. I have to soak & cook beans & sprout sprouts & buy ham & Craisins® & sunflower seeds & bacon bits first...we are eating SALAD in two days!

Other toppings at the salad bars of family & food joints that I sometimes take or leave:
  • Avocado
  • Shredded jícama
  • Slices of raw yams
  • Artichoke hearts
  • Corn (I think baby corn is best...I love miniatures!)
  • Onions (green, purple...I'd go with chives instead, but that's just me)
  • Bell peppers (I prefer yellow or red)
  • Diced turkey or chicken
  • Pickles (although I'd rather have dilly beans [pickled green beans with a hint of cayenne pepper])
  • Celery (no thanks)
  • Beets
  • Cottage cheese
  • Mandarin oranges
It may seem I have complicated salad, which is why we usually eat salad with just carrots & cucumbers with toppings on the table of whatever we have on hand (which often ends up being peas, tomatoes, raisins, croutons, & dressing). Oh, but a salad BAR...I could get drunk there! Only joking: I'm a Mormon, so I don't drink.

3 comments:

Amelia said...

Kelli commented:

"You crack me up! I love salad bars too! I had a fantastic salad today. My favorites are the greens (especially the spring mix) with sprouts, dark kidney beans, peas, pickled beets, pickled bannana peppers, sunflower seeds, califlower, cucumbers and homemade ranch dressing. YUM! Although cranraisens, ham, manderine oranges, cheese and balsamic vinegar is great too. It just depends if I want sweet or sour more. Thanks for appreciating salad!"

Dear Kelli,
Are pickled banana peppers the yellow peppers they have at Subway? If so, I love those too! Here's a recipe for a balsamic vinegar dressing that I adore:

1/8 cup olive oil
1/8 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar

Amelia said...

During the holidays, I had the privilege to enjoy another of my sister's salads. Microgreens, she calls them, the first sprouted leaves of such plants as: sunflower, broccoli, red cabbage, peas, beets, and a little arugula and cilantro. It even had FLOWERS on top. It was beautiful.

Likely said...

oh my gosh amelia, can we go out for salads, like right now??? I am so hungry after reading this post!