27 August 2010

Reusable Recipes: Meat Edition

When I got married, my paternal grandmother gave me an empty cookbook. It has become the special cookbook, because only tried-and-loved recipes get recorded on its pages; recipes for special occasions, and recipes that get used over and over again.

I learned my three favorite meat recipes from my foster mother, who is now a vegetarian. All I have to say about that is I am glad I lived with her while these meals were still on the menu, because they are YUMMY!

And here they are:

Pulled Pork (We always called it shredded pork when I lived with them, but I have decided this name is more fitting [plus, I love alliteration!])

Cook a picnic pork shoulder, fat side up, covered, in a 300 degree oven overnight or 6-8 hours. Make sauce while it cools (or whenever you want). Separate meat from bones and fat. Pull meat into small strands; place in 9 x 13 pan. Cover with sauce. Heat in oven, stirring a few times and then broil if desired.

Sauce: Warm in pan: 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 1/3 cup ketchup/catsup, 1 Tablespoon prepared mustard, 1/2 cup vinegar, 2/3 cup water, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon pepper,
2 teaspoons salt. Stir well, until everything is dissolved together.

This dish makes a delicious leftover too!

Sweet Taco Meat (This may sound strange to you, but it is better than you can imagine. Serve on soft tortillas with your choice of taco toppings and ranch dressing or sour cream.)

Brown 2 pounds ground beef. Drain. Add in pan: 1 envelope dry onion soup mix, 1 cup ketchup/catsup/tomato sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for a half an hour, stirring occasionally.

I realize that most of the ingredients in this recipe are the same as the pulled pork, which explains why I love it so much!

Oven-Fried Chicken

Crush 2 cups of cornflakes and stir in 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt and a few dashes of pepper. Dip chicken pieces (about 2 and a half to 3 pounds) in 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine. Roll in bread mixture (No, not you. The chicken!) and place in a greased 9 x 13. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs and butter. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hr. Don't turn (No, not you. The chicken!)

I often think of Amelia Bedelia (my namesake) when I read or write recipes, can you tell?

2 comments:

CnLAland said...

Mmmmmm! Knowing how good of a cook you are my mouth started watering when I read this. ;)

Erin said...

Mmmm! That taco meat sounds yummy! I am serving tacos to 41 people tomorrow (yes, I am crazy) and may have to incorporate your recipe into my plan.