08 February 2011

Living in the Sticks

Yesterday I wanted to dye. Okay: not funny. But really, I wanted to dye some lace and in previous weeks I was unable to find dye in the color I wanted at any of the four stores that might possibly sell it in my area. I had even checked Walmart last time I was in the "city," but no taupe or cream or tan. This was no surprise to me since it seems Walmart never has what I need anymore. We've been on the outs for quite awhile now, but I'm thinking about divorcing Wally for good.

Anyway, so yesterday I made it my mission to search every grocery or department store in the "city," which is almost thirty miles from my house. I even stopped at a sparsely stocked shopping center on the way, with no luck. Then came the exercise workout of harnessing and unharnessing a one-year-old and two-year-old what felt like fifty times to all of us, not to mention carrying thirty pounds of wiggly until my arms ached. Lowe's? No. Kmart? No. Family Dollar? No. Smith's? No! (But I almost laughed out loud in the laundry aisle when I heard U2 empathetically singing from above, "And I still haven't found...what I'm looking for...")

So, after searching four stores in my town, and another four in the "city," I finally found tan dye in the fifth store, which I guess was really the ninth store.

I almost giggled.

4 comments:

Catherine Dabels said...

You giggled? I would have been cursing by this time.
Last week it took five stores to find corn chips. And I don't even live in the sticks.

What is happening to the world?

Lyn said...

Ummm... So was that Smith's you found your dye at??? Just curious cause that's where my momma always bought dye. And isn't it amazing how persistent we can be and what we will go through to get something when we really have our mind made up and its important to us? Just a thought...

Amelia said...

Catherine, your comment made me laugh. And Lyn, they had dye at Smith's but not in the color I was looking for. I found it at the other grocery store over there. You are so right, I was determined to find it somewhere. Last night I did my project and it turned out just the way I wanted, so it feels like it was worth it...now that it's over!

OnCallMom said...

My favorite line was 'thirty pounds of wiggly'. ha ha! I can SO relate! :) Thanks for stopping by my new blog. :)