02 April 2012

Quoting the Cute: Page Thirteen

Seven-year-old:  "Sometimes I just want to run away and never come back!"  Is this something all children feel, or is it an oldest child thing (I remember feeling the same way), or am I really just a BAD MOTHER?

Three-year-old:  "Can I swipe the floor?"

Two-year-old:  For the first few days after he became a brother, he regarded the baby with complete indifference.  He pretended like there was no baby.  If he crawled onto my lap while I was holding the baby, he wouldn't touch him or even look at him.  Then one morning I was sitting on the floor trying to burp the baby.  Quickly and softly my son patted the baby twice and ran off.  A few days after that he said to me out of nowhere, "I wan hold it," pointing at the baby.  I put the baby on his lap and he gently cupped his hand on the baby's head.  It wasn't long before he was kissing the baby's head instead.  For five months now, every day he asks again to hold "it," and I have watched that baby double in size on his little lap.

Seven-year-old:  "Waaaa."  You might be able to imagine how this pretend cry makes us cringe.

Three-year-old:  "Why did you trade your hair?"  (She meant "braid.")

Two-year-old:  "He toot."  He says this several times a day about his baby brother.  It doesn't mean what you might think.

 Baby Brother:  HAPPY SQUEAL!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I'm an oldest child and I said that too, and I do believe my oldest told me the exact same thing. You're a good mom. Relax. :)

Cindy in PA said...

A kid threatening to run away? Totally normal...But don't ever voice your thoughts about running away. Could send your adult child into therapy! Hee hee!
Was your son saying "cute?"

Amelia said...

Cute is right, Cindy. You know your mom stuff!

And why on earth would I ever want to run away (do you hear my sarcasm)?