26 March 2012

I Am a Soul Who Has a Body

I recently read a thoughtful article titled Body Talk (written by C. Jane Kendrick).  Each day since, I've spent a significant amount of time thinking deeply of my body and soul.  I have been analyzing my feelings and how they affect the way I eat.  I've been thinking of the things my body says to me and how I'd like to answer.

I eat when I'm hungry, but I also eat when I'm lonely.  Sometimes I eat to celebrate things that make me happy and sometimes I eat because I am depressed.  I eat when I'm overwhelmed, frustrated, stressed, disappointed, bored, tired, and often when I'm really just thirsty.

I eat because food tastes good to me, even though I know health would taste even better.

I have five senses and only one of them is taste.  I know that healthy living would enhance all of my senses, and all of my best emotions.

I'm ready for a change.

I've been asking myself what I could do to feed my body (including the part that is made up of soul) more appropriately.

I have learned from experience that my mortal machine will run better if I take preventative measures.  I feel better if I eat before I am hungry, drink before I am thirsty, and sleep before I get tired.  And I have learned that a walk every morning is my vaccine against depression.

Then, when I am lonely I could call a friend or write a letter or blog or hug my husband or play with my children or work on my family history.  I could do something nice for someone.  Eating will not help but these things will.

When I want to celebrate, I could let time with the ones I love be the reward (not the food we eat together) or play a game or scrapbook.  I could find a reason to just laugh. 

When I am sad, I could go for a walk or read scripture or write in a journal or take a nap or cry.  I could do something nice for someone else who is depressed.

When I'm overwhelmed, I could sit and listen to a favorite song with my eyes closed and breathe slowly, deeply.  This could give me strength to face my work with energy instead of fear.  Music could help me in my work as well.  Music is food for my soul.

When I'm frustrated, I could scream at the sky or punch a pillow.  I have never done either, but I think they could do good for me.

When I'm disappointed, I could look for the silver lining and move on with new dreams.  I could work on a procrastinated project from my hobbies of crochet, calligraphy, sewing, or cross stitch.  I could do something to improve my home.

When I am stressed, I could take a bath or get a massage from my husband or convince one of the kids to tickle my feet.  I could look at my list and only worry about what is eternal.  I could pray to my Loving Father who watches over me every day, every moment.

When I'm bored I could do any of the things listed above and drown boredom in goodness.

If I were a lazy parent, I'd just give my kids toys or candy to solve every problem or face every emotion.  But I wouldn't do that because I know that in the long run, my children don't need toys or candy.  They need to be loved and cared for.

And that's what I need too.





What does your body say to you and how do you answer?

 "You don't have a soul.  You are a soul.  You have a body." ~C.S. Lewis.

2 comments:

McEngland like the McCountry said...

Thank you for this particular post. I've been meditating on the C.S. Lewis quote you included. I had never heard it before but it came at just the perfect time. It's been incredibly pertinent right now and I borrowed it for my most recent blog post. Thank you again.

Jessica said...

I've had a tough couple of days and this post hit the spot! You are amazing, friend.