29 December 2009

The Scarlet (Actually, White) Letters

If I take a walk on garbage day, I like to read the writing on the garbage cans. In my city, the garbage person writes messages on the black tote cans with a white marker or chalk. The notes say things like, "Place cans 6 feet apart," or "Put out past trees," and even threats like, "Out past vehicles or it will be left." There are warnings about past slipups. I've secretly been glad that I have a nice, clean garbage can without any of my garbage sins displayed for all to see.

We left town on Wednesday for Thanksgiving. I asked a neighbor to put my garbage can back after Thursday's garbage day. When we returned home on Sunday, my husband asked me, "Did you know it says on the garbage can that you can only have the can in the street for 12 hours before or after pickup time?" Then I realized that on holidays, the garbage person doesn't come until Friday.

So much for my purity. I couldn't believe the garbage person would actually drive around on Thanksgiving to see who put their cans out too early. Or maybe a neighbor complained? I went to our can to view the graffiti, only to discover that the writing my husband spoke of was only the small square of instructions stamped onto the lid. Whew.

That was a close one!

No comments: