14 July 2010

An After-School Obstacle Course

I don't know what it was about the bus ride home from school that made me need to use the bathroom, but it seemed to happen a lot when I was young. On one such day, my sisters and I hurried home from the bus stop only to find we were locked out of the house and no one was home. This happened often enough that we stored a butter knife on the outside windowsill of the bathroom so we could use it to pry open the window. This window was one of three windows that actually opened in our house, and it was the easiest to get through. I, being the oldest, would open the window and crawl through, or lift one of my sisters to climb through. The inside person would then open the front door for the two of us.

So on this day, I was in quite a hurry (see first two sentences). I wasn't sure if I was going to make it in time. I opened the window as quickly as I could (while doing the potty dance), and chose to go through the window myself (the TOILET was in there!). Relieved to be through the window and almost there, I jumped from the window into the bathtub...but it was full of cold water from someone's morning bath. My sisters heard the splash and began to laugh. I also laughed (so hard I couldn't breathe), and just so you know:

I didn't make it.

2 comments:

Shoebox Princess said...

HAHAHA! That is a great story!

I have similar memories of breaking into my house as a kid (going through the attic to a closet) but never as rushed or as surprising as this!

Likely said...

HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!! totally hilarious. especially because we have left that cold morning bath water there before and it is always such a surprise to find it...

and we used to do the same thing with our bathroom window --- our parents bathroom had a tiny window and we would rig my brother through it.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. funny how you clicked on me from cjane. the blog world is fun. I wished we all lived down the street from eachother though. that is the depressing part. you meet all of these cool people but you can't hang with them in real life!

We are totally not fixer upper pros in the least but we are excited to learn. it's fun.