12 July 2010

Lullabies

I remember three songs my mother sang to me when I was little.

The first was her own version of "Rock-a-bye Baby." I have seen other censored versions of this song, but I still like my mom's the best:

"Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bough swings, the baby will too
And she'll keep on sleeping all the day through."

She also sang "Brahms Lullaby," but because she didn't know the words (I don't either--are there words?), she would sing:

"Lullaby, and good-night. Won't you please go to sleep?" Over and over until the song was over. This makes me smile now as I sing it the same way to my little ones.

The last song I remember comes from a Korean folk song called "Doraji." She learned it in elementary school. These are the words:

"Toraji flower of light
What makes you climb so high?
Do you say that I should be a cloud
And then I'd know why?

(Chorus:) Hay-yay-ya (repeated three times)

Toraji flower of light
What rings your little bell?
Do you say that I should be the wind
And then I could tell?

(Chorus)

Toraji flower of light
What makes your fragrance grow?
Do you say that I should be a bird
And then I would know?

(Chorus)"

It is has a lovely melody. I found the original version HERE (the song called "Doraji") that has the same melody for the verses (the first two lines), but a different melody for the chorus (the original version doesn't have a chorus), and different words.

One more thing about lullabies: my husband is usually the one to sing our children to sleep. His wonderful singing voice and strong, firm arms have always made him the preferred parent for bedtime rocking, for all of my children. His concerts always begin with, "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam," and "Jesus Said Love Everyone." Then he branches out into songs varying from Finnish Christmas songs to "Ave Maria."

It is hard to describe how it delights me to see and hear this ritual. I think St. Francis de Sales said it best when he said, "Nothing is so strong as gentleness, and nothing is so gentle as true strength." Amen.

No comments: