15 September 2010

CHAOS: x 3

First of all, I wish to thank each visitor. Motivation is powerful fuel.

I had hoped to have the wallpaper down from the nursery by Monday (the Monday that happened three days ago). I can already tell that when we get to the next Monday in four days, it still won't be done--but I am making progress.

First, I climbed Stuff Mountain. Realizing it was mostly made of unfinished projects and hand-me-down clothes for my children, I tried to think of another place for the unfinished projects to live and came up with this:

Genius!

Actually, this bathroom is broken so we haven't used this shower since we moved in. Stuff has been stashed there before, but now it is the designated place for all my procrastinated projects that I am going to finish tomorrow. My house lacks when it comes to storage areas...to state the obvious.

With that out of the way, we were ready to remove wallpaper. I hired some help:

(I see now how much better this picture would have been if I had thought to put my oldest in stripes as well!) We also removed the upside-down chair rail that was pretending to be baseboards. When the three of us finished peeling, pulling, and prying, I paid my girls by telling them they could color on the walls.

(Love those lashes!)




























Let me share what I learned: If you are going to be replacing carpet with vinyl, remove the baseboards before the installers come. You are going to have to move them anyway because they'll sit too high off the floor, so you might as well take them off so the vinyl will be installed all the way to the wall, with a straight edge. I wish the carpet/vinyl store had told me!

My new goal is to have the wallpaper removed and the walls primed by Wednesday. We could call it Washed Wallpaperless White Walls Wednesday." See you then!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Cute picture! On the back of a door in my house, a small person (not mine) has written STOP CAT, which I find really funny. It's kind of fun to leave something for the next owners to find.

Alison said...

Looking good....and always nice to rip wallpaper off the walls and it looks like you have some good helpers there

Four babies 4 us said...

Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog. It means a lot to me...
"Stuff mountain" made me laugh! I think I may have a few of those in my house too :o(

lalalovely lindsay said...

Hi Amelia! Thanks for stopping over and leaving the links. I really appreciate it :o)

Rain in My Head said...

I love that you let your kids write on the walls. My mom let me do that in high school and I ended up keeping it until I graduated. I LOVED it. I'm sure your kids did too! :)

Amelia said...

My five-year-old was disappointed at first when I told her we would be painting where the drawings are, but she still enjoyed it!